Saturday, February 27, 2010

Detours from Madison County

Detours from a book by Robert James Waller - The Bridges of Madison County:


Poems & Songs

THE SONG OF WANDERING AENGUS
by: W.B. Yeats

WENT out to the hazel wood,
Because a fire was in my head,
And cut and peeled a hazel wand,
And hooked a berry to a thread; 

And when white moths were on the wing,
And moth-like stars were flickering out,
I dropped the berry in a stream
And caught a little silver trout. 

When I had laid it on the floor
I went to blow the fire a-flame,
But something rustled on the floor,
And some one called me by my name:
It had become a glimmering girl
With apple blossom in her hair
Who called me by my name and ran
And faded through the brightening air. 

Though I am old with wandering
Through hollow lands and hilly lands,
I will find out where she has gone,
And kiss her lips and take her hands;
And walk among long dappled grass,
And pluck till time and times are done
The silver apples of the moon,
The golden apples of the sun.
...............................................................

  
Bob Dylan's song - "Girl from the North Country"
Song - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWnT5-3SrsA
Lyrics - http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/bobdylan/girlfromthenorthcountry.html
Hank Snow's Train Songs

Faron Young: The Shrine of St. Cecilia
Song- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1PwqQfJIgo

(Rachel Carson, John Muir, Aldo Leopold)

Places

Bellingham, Washington
Cascades - paper Mills of Kalispell, Montana - Indian Reservations in North Dakota -- Iron Mines of Hibbing (Bob Dylan-Zimmerman's hometown)
Duluth, Minnesota
Isle au Haut and Stonington...across the Bay of Fundy to Nova Scotia
Big Sur, south of San Francisco
Mississippi River towards Iowa
Iowa - Clayton, Des Moines, Madison County, Shenandoah, Roseman Bridge
Naples, River Po, Sicily
The Green Hills of Africa - a 1935 work of nonfiction written by Ernest Hemingway

'Words & Phrases'
  • The  constant chirping of those who would save me and those who would sell me.
  • Lying naked where the blue whales swim.
  • She wished him steaming trains that left from winter stations.
  • Before I became a man, I was an arrow - a long time ago
  • Somali Current, Big Hatchet Mountains, Malacca Strait
  • You are what you produce.
  • Thomas Wolfe - "ghost of the old eagerness"
  • "In a universe of ambiguity, this kind of certainty comes only once, and never again, no matter how many lifetimes you live."
  • Robert Penn Warren - "a world that seemed to be God-abandoned"
-------------------------------------------------------

LINKS

The movie - Bridges of Madison County (Clint Eastwood, Meryl Streep)

No comments: