* Srivathsan, A (2012): SMALL IS BIG FOR INDIA'S BOOMING RETAILS SECTOR, The Hindu, 30 Sep 2012 - http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/small-is-big-in-asias-booming-retail-sector/article3949344.ece#.UGfRaAlfln4.gmail
* Madhukar, CV (2012): MEDIA COVERAGE OF THE PARLIAMENT, Manushi, 20Sep12 - URL - http://www.manushi.in/articles.php?articleId=1631
* 'Micchami Dukkadam' (18 Sep. 2012, Tata MF)
-On the final day of Paryushan is Samvastsari Pratikraman (ritual for washing away sins). Jains seek forgiveness from all the creatures whom they may have harmed knowingly or unknowingly by uttering the phrase— Micchami Dukkadam. It means "If I have caused you offence in any way, knowingly or unknowingly, in thought, word or deed, then I seek your forgiveness". No private quarrel or dispute may be carried beyond Samvatsari, and traditionally, letters have been sent and telephone calls made to friends and relatives asking their forgiveness.
* Raghavan, BS (2012): No Point in Picking on Denmark, BL 19Sep12 - http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/opinion/columns/b-s-raghavan/article3911346.ece
- Denmark ranks 19th among foreign investors in India, with a direct investment during 2010 of $231 million. India’s own commodity exports to Denmark totalled $992 million in 2011.
- it has 80 companies already operating in India, with 20 or more in Tamil Nadu alone, although Kerala, Maharashtra and Rajasthan are the preferred destinations.
* Shourie, Arun (2012): ‘For 15-20 years now, we have been attending the elongated funeral rites of the parliamentary system’, Indian Express, 18Sep12 - http://www.indianexpress.com/news/for-1520-years-now-we-have-been-attending-the-elongated-funeral-rites-of-the-parliamentary-system/1004159/0
* Obe, Mitsuru (2012): THIRST FOR ENERGY SHAPES JAPAN’S TIES, WSJ, 4Sep12, url - http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443571904577629052678661404.html
- LNG from Qatar, Malaysia, Australia
- Imports 90% of its crude; 25% of LNG
* Anand, Geeta (2012): A WOMAN’S UNTREATABLE TB ECHOS GLOBALLY, WSJ, 8Sep12, url - http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444273704577633431646496346.html
* Hoshi, Takeo and Anil Kashyap (2012): A PLAN TO REVIVE JAPAN, WSJ 11Sep12, url - http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443921504577642764122529938.html
- National Institute of Research Advancement (NIRA)
- Inefficiencies...postal addressing system...a confusing algorithm ensures that adjacent buildings in cities do not have consecutive addresses
* Krishnakumar R (2012): REPLACEMENT MIGRATION, Frontline, 21Sep12, url - http://fleceweb.thehindu.co.in/public-health/article646320.ece?textsize=small&test=2
- Kerala emigrants - 2.28m abroad; 1.5m returned; 3.43m non-resident-Keralites; 9.31m Keralite in other states
- Average wage of unskilled laborer in Gulf - Rs.11,484;
- Daily wage in Kerala - Rs.450
* Hampaiah, Ralladoddi (2012): EVERYONE IS STEALING GERMPLASM, Down to Earth, 1-15Sep12, pp23, url - http://www.downtoearth.org.in/content/everyone-stealing-germplasm
- Bt Cotton germplasm comes from ARAU, Hyderabad’s “Narasimha” breed - taken from Mahanandi village in Kurnool dist. by Monsanto
- Ongole bull
* Suchitra, M (2012): STENCH IN MY BACKYARD, Down to Earth, 1-15Sep12
- Garbage disposal and protests from Vilappilshala village near Trivandrum
* Economist (2012): Obituary - ROGER FISHER, Economist 15Sep12, url - http://www.economist.com/node/21562880
- lawyer, teacher, peace-maker
- In any negotiation, he wrote—even with terrorists—it was vital to separate the people from the problem; to focus on the underlying interests of both sides, rather than stake out unwavering positions; and to explore all possible options before making a decision. The parties should try to build a rapport, check each other out, even just by shaking hands or eating together. Each should “listen actively”, as he always did, to what the other was saying. They should recognise the emotions on either side, from a longing for security to a craving for status. And they should try to get inside each other’s heads.
- For those who found his principles too idealistic, he could point to age-old haggling tricks he also recommended: pretending not to be interested, refusing to react to pressure, being prepared to walk away.
* Nagral, Sanjay (2012): DOCTORS IN ENTREPRENEURIAL GOWNS, EPW 8Sep12, url - http://www.epw.in/commentary/doctors-entrepreneurial-gowns.html
* Ito, Joichi (2012): MIT MEDIA LAB - Program on NHK, url - http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/english/tv/bookedforjapan/archives201209140600.html // http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joi_Ito