* Why is academic writing so academic? -- http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/why-is-academic-writing-so-academic
* Literature - 50 Quotes - http://www.buzzfeed.com/jenniferschaffer/i-am-i-am-i-am#.fe8ovPk6z
* Anti-Fracking -- http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/aug/05/children-ban-talking-about-fracking?CMP=share_btn_fb
* Biotech - unboiling eggs! - http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/news/science/scientists-find-how-to-unboil-eggs/article6823761.ece
* Blue LED's inventor's advise to Japanese youngsters (get out!) :) - http://en.rocketnews24.com/2015/01/23/nobel-prize-winner-shuji-nakamura-to-japans-young-people-get-out-of-japan/
* Kiran Bedi's mythmaking - http://www.firstpost.com/politics/bjps-legendary-cm-candidate-story-of-kiran-crane-bedi-more-myth-than-fact-2056451.html
* Ajit Sivadasan - Big data lessons for global brands - http://gakuran.com/ama-the-pearl-diving-mermaids-of-japan/
* Ama pearl divers, Japan - photos - http://gakuran.com/ama-the-pearl-diving-mermaids-of-japan/
* Atul Gawande's BBC Reith Lecture Series - download - http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/reith
* Entrepreneurs at 40+ -- http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/innovations/wp/2014/08/15/why-teaching-grandmothers-to-code-isnt-a-crazy-idea/
* NYT - The Secret Life of Passwords -- http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/19/magazine/the-secret-life-of-passwords.html?_r=0
* TED - 20 Most Popular - http://blog.ted.com/2013/12/16/the-most-popular-20-ted-talks-2013/
* Project Management - PRINCE2 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRINCE2
* Pesek, William (2014): WHAT DOES INDIA KNOW THAT THE REST OF ASIA DOESN'T, BS 19Jan15
* A site for web-designers -- http://www.smashingmagazine.com/
* A journalist flogged -- http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/15/opinion/nicholas-kristof-an-islamic-reformer-lashed.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0
* The Strange Existence of Ram Charan -- http://archive.fortune.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2007/04/30/8405482/index.htm
- He knew from Sanskrit teachings that "fear, anger, laziness - these are the downfalls of human beings"; that peace of mind alone is worth striving for; that dedication and mastery are their own rewards.
- At Harvard Business School - MBA student - share notes? "I'm not going to do that," Charan said. "I'm spending my own money. I don't care if I flunk. If I learn something, I'll succeed."
- Gas company, Honolulu - "Reduce pressure from 10PM-4AM and you will makde dividends" - he combined financial acuity with engineering know-how and an eye for the role played by interpersonal relationships to solve a vexing problem.
- He was interested more in cause and effect than statistical correlation. His aims were practical: How can I solve this problem? How can I help this person? This company?
- Skeptics liken him to Chauncey Gardiner, the simple-minded hero of the 1979 film classic Being There, who gets a lot of mileage out of utterances...
- a three-item agenda following a script devised by Charan: What unique thing happened in your store last week? What issues did you face that kept you from serving your customers better? How can we fix those issues right now?
- I truly believe in the Indian culture of dedication. It has served me well. Do the best you can and learn to be the best. Focus. It will take you there.
- Keep your eye on the big prize and what it takes to get there. In outsourcing we lead. I believe we can lead in generics.
* Amazing CT Scans -- http://www.vox.com/2015/1/12/7533155/ge-ct-scans
* In defence of the chronicler of Kongu -- http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/op-ed/in-defence-of-the-chronicler-of-kongu/article6778031.ece
* 13 Signs of a Disengaged Employee -- http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/234436
* Demand for synthetic biocompatible polymers will increase 4.7 percent annually to $3.2 billion in 2018- http://www.business-standard.com/content/b2b-plastics-polymers/biocompatible-materials-market-in-us-to-touch-5-6-bn-115010700437_1.html
- Hyaluronic acid will generate the fastest revenue gains
* Exploitation in the Cotton Industry -- http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/25/opinion/a-long-history-of-exploitation-in-the-cotton-industry.html
* The stories the West tell itself about #Ebola - http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/142762/emmanuel-dharcourt/three-myths-about-ebola
* Indian Patent Office grants 90% of its patents to foreign firms -- http://www.newindianexpress.com/business/news/More-Spends-on-Patents-Needed/2015/01/11/article2613526.ece
* Can Fracking handle oil below US$50/barrel -- http://www.wired.com/2015/01/adventures-mapmaking-mapping-fracking-boom-north-dakota/?mbid=social_twitter
- Great graphics - http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/11/24/upshot/nd-oil-well-illustration.html?abt=0002&abg=1
* Swaminathan R (2014): TIME TO COUNTER TROJAN HORSES, GovernanceNow/MPost
- Intelligence stumped by spoofed IP addresses
* The Problem with Meaning - David Brooks, NYT/Hindu 7Jan15 -
- Speech to Stanford Alum by John Gardner
* Spicejet lessons for Aviation - Amber Dubey, FE 7Jan15 -- http://www.financialexpress.com/article/fe-columnist/column-spicejet-lessons-for-aviation/26797/
* Training Aircraft - Scuttling a 'Made in India' project: The case of the HTT-40 Trainer, BS-7Jan15 -- http://www.business-standard.com/article/economy-policy/scuttling-a-made-in-india-project-the-case-of-the-htt-40-trainer-115010601289_1.html
- Scuttling of Hindustan Turbo Trainer (HTT-40) for a Swiss Pilatus PC-7 Mark-II
- 2009 IAF decision - requirement 181 trainers >> 75 to be purchased abroad, and 106 to be purchased locally from HAL (PC-7 Mk-II)
- 75 Pilatus cost IAF SFrancs 557 million (Rs. 3600 cr) -- Rs. 40 cr per aircraft
- HAL aircraft had engines from Honeywell (TPE-33112B) -- Pratt & Whitney refused licensed mfr in India
* Why PK is OK - Vanita Kohli Khandekar, BS-7Jan14
* How volcanic eruptions happen -- http://www.nytimes.com/video/science/100000003431211/how-it-happens-volcanic-eruptions.html?smid=tw-nytimes
* 32 Truths presented beautifully -- http://bluegape.com/photo-story/abhinav/32-unavoidable-truths-life-presented-beautifully/
* Narisetti - Minds that should matter - http://forbesindia.com/article/special/minds-that-%28should%29-matter/39289/0
* TED - Sending Money Home - http://www.ted.com/talks/dilip_ratha_the_hidden_force_in_global_economics_sending_money_home
* Seven minute workouts -- http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/ss/the-7-minute-workout-slideshow
* The secret to raising smart kids -- http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-secret-to-raising-smart-kids1/
* Tharoor explains tweets on ancient Indian science - http://www.ndtv.com/article/opinion/tharoor-explains-his-tweets-on-ancient-indian-science-644141
* Mana Nayestani's cartoons - http://www.youthkiawaaz.com/2014/07/18-brilliant-cartoons-will-make-think-oppression-like-never
- more - https://tavaana.org/en/cartoons
* Vikram S. Mehta (2014): OIL-POLITIK - WHY OPEC IS ALLOWING PRICES TO FALL, FE, 5Jan15