Saturday, June 02, 2018

A Closer Look at Eyecare: Lenskart vs. Titan Eye+


I needed a new pair of spectacles desperately. The one I have been using for the past three years was in bad shape - both lenses were badly scratched, an arm was broken, and I felt my eyes had now reached the dreaded zone of bifocals or progressive lenses.

Having used spectacles for over 30 years, I thought I had a clear picture of what I needed: A sturdy pair of glasses that I could wear comfortably, both outdoors (mostly distance running or trekking) and while working at my laptop, one that was easy to fold-away and access while travelling; anti-glare lenses would be a useful feature while driving, and above all, the pair had to be Value For Money. 

My search began in Kolkata early this year. At Himalaya Opticals on near the Dhakuria flyover, I was greeted by salesmen wearing starched formals and fake smiles. Within a few minutes they figured out that I was not looking for expensive frames or fancy brands with 15 coatings, and their attitude changed. Fake smiles gave way to sneers, . I realised their 'target market' was different and that this was not the shop for me.

Back in NCR Delhi I decided to focus on the options available in Noida. At the bustling Sector-18 market  there were at least 10 optical shops that cover the whole spectrum. Just on the street leading to the metro station there were four - Himalaya, Spectica, Titan Eye+ and Lenskart. 

Thanks to that experience at Kolkata, I skipped Himalaya Opticals and headed first to Spectica. I had been to Spectica earlier and had found them to be a local business run by an elderly, avuncular gentleman. It is the kind of neighborhood shop that sends you New Year greetings, where the owner sits at a counter by the door with the fragrance of puja-agarbatti wafting all around. 

Today they were saving on the air-conditioning. At a tiny room on the first floor the saleman patiently explained available options: Frames starting from INR790, two broad options for lenses - CR39 and Polycarbonate (PC) - in three brands (R?, Trio, Crisal) with 
prices ranging from INR1450 to INR4100+. The prices of PC lenses were about 50% higher 
than CR39 which it seems were also less durable.





The Titan Eye+ was fancy and spacious. A Tata brand had keep up some standards -  brightly lit walls and shelves lined with frames, lens promos all over and lots of staff in blue uniforms. The gound floor was was only for shades and branded sunglasses while the basement was for prescription glasses, with an optermetrist on stand-by. 

For all the investment that had gone into Eye+ the shop did not offer many choices. Even those that were available seemed rather expensive compared to Spectica - a wire-frame that cost INR790 was priced here at INR3200! Of course they gave me the usual spiel about 'real titanium' and 'top quality'.

I got my eyes tested. The optermetrist examined my eyes through an Autorefractor through which I saw a colorful air baloon turn from a blur into sharp focus, and within a few minutes a print emerged from the machine with the test results - a confirmation that I had a near-vision problem as well. Now came the bit about lenses. Over here, CR39 with a narrow 'corridor' was priced at INR4750/lens and a one at INR8750/lens. PC lenses were about 50% more expensive and if I were to choose Crisal lenses they cost much more than the Eye+ brand. So, at the very least, it would cost about INR12,000 to get one pair of glasses. If you had deeper pockets you could opt for a custom made lens that would cost over INR29,000. Not my cup of tea.



Final stop: Lenskart. Located a few meters away from Eye+ this outlet was much smaller but the space was designed much better - plenty of choices with additional options shown on tabs, and a better equipped optermetrist. Unlike Spectica and Eye+ this place was also teeming with customers, most of whom had come here after checking out the Lenskart website. Also unlike any of the outlets I had seen so far the staff was better trained - much better on customer focus, with excellent coordination within the team.  

I was guided through available options, and to my delight they had quite a range within my budget and a "buy one, get one" option to boot. I selected two pairs and headed for my second eye-test of the day. Surprisingly, the autorefractor here gave a different set of readings though it did reconfirm that I needed bifocals/progressives. Now came the second surprise - the cost of two pairs of spectacles, one with progressive lenses (Kodak, wide transition) and the other one PC (Tokai Lutina), was less than the cost of a single pair at Eye+!

Lenskart did leave me puzzled though with items in the final bill. It had listed a 'Gold Membership'  fees (I never asked for one) for INR500 which was cancelled out by a 'Gift Voucher' of the same amount. It also takes much longer to deliver - the bills says 14 days but the sales team said it would arrive within a week.

On the whole Lenskart seemed to offer much better 'customer experience' and value for money, compared to its main competitor Titan Eye+ as well as the local opticals. Now lets see if the quality of the final products lives up to expectations... 

---------------------------------------------
LINKS & REFERENCES

* (9Dec17) - Lenskart news - https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/venture-capital/lenskart 
* Machines with the Optermetrist 
- http://www.goldenvisionclinic.com/vision-tools/
- https://www.verywellhealth.com/eye-examination-equipment-4020398
* EndMyopia on CR39 lenses - https://endmyopia.org/cr-39-vs-polycarbonate-lenses/

6 comments:

Romil Goel said...

I think the real test of quality will be to know how your lenskart lens is doing after a year and a half of usage and not by the shop's buying experience.

Unknown said...

Good write up. Wish i had read this article before ordering one..

Atri Raha said...

Does quality of frame and the lens differ for both the brands, or you found they are more or less of same quality (Titan and Lenskart) ?

Dinakarr said...

Hi Atri, I found both the brands to be of the same quality. Both have products covering a wide price range to suit every pocket, but Titan will of course be obliged to justify higher prices by claiming "superior quality"!

choo choo said...

Good write up thanks . I also found Titan eye very expensive, less options and not very happy with the customer service .

SISYPHUS said...

Hello DINAKARR,
My experience is much more extensive than yours, and it covers 33 years of using spectacles and contact lenses (during younger days...!!!!). And I will also include GKB, Lawrence N Mayo and and a local (kolkata) family owned store, named R C Ghose, in this wide spectrum of my spectacl(e)ular journey and experience...!!!

Lenskart is economical and its frames have excellent longevity considering the prices at which they sell. Its specs are fashionable also. But beware, its frames usually dont last for more than 2 years, coming from me who is fastidious about maintenance of anything that I have to buy with money...!!! AND ONCE THE FRAME HAS TAKEN ITS LAST BREATH, THEIR ATTITUDE WILL BECOME SIMILAR TO GKB'S- which is another story, narrated a little later- WHICH IS ONE OF APATHY, EVEN WHEN YOU TELL THEM THAT YOU ARE WILLING TO AGAIN BUY THE SAME FRAME, JUST TO SAVE YOUR EXPENSIVE PROGRESSIVE LENSES FROM BECOMING REDUNDANT...!!!! LENSKART CIT RD WILL THEN TELL YOU THAT, ONCE MUCH VAUNTED FASHIONABLE AND STYLISH FRAME IS NOT SO FASHIONABLE 2 years down the time AND LENSKART NOT MAKING THEM ANY MORE....!!! AND MIND YOU, I LIKED LENSKART SO MUCH AND MY SYSTEM COOPERATED WITH THEM SO MUCH (BECAUSE OF A SERIOUS AILMENT, MY POWER KEPT INCREASING EXPONENTIALLY EVERY 5-6 MONTHS AND THE DOCS WONT PERFORM CATARACT TILL IT MATURES, BUT I NEEDED TO SEE ALSO, TILL THEN....!!!), THAT I HAVE USED THEIR SERVICES AT LEAST 5 TIMES IN THE LAST 2 YEARS, FOR MY SPECS AND MY WIFE'S AND DAUGHTER'S, all INCLUDED.

THE SAME THING HAPPENED WITH GKB. A FRAME COSTING 10 K, 15 YEARS BACK, IT WAS PITCHED TO ME AS A PIECE OF ART, AT THE TIME OF SELLING, BUT AFTER 10 MONTHS OF CAREFULL USAGE, WHEN THE RIGHT TEMPLE (DANDI) CAME OFF FROM THE RIGHT SHOULDER (SCREW JOINT), THE SAME PERSON WAS TELLING ME THAT IT WAS A, SO LAST SEASON STYLE FRAME THAT I SHOULD BUY A NEW FRAME....!!!! THAT WAS THE LAST I SAW THE INSIDE OF GKB, PARK STREET...!!! MONEY IS NOT EARNED SO EASILY THAT ONE SHOULD KEEP BURNING IT JUST TO BE SEEN AS IN SEASON, LIKE OUR SUBSTANCELESS SO CALLED STARS FROM VARIED WALKS OF LIFE...!!!

MORE OR LESS THE SAME EXPERIENCE AT LAWRENCE N MAYO.

MORE OR LESS THE SAME EXPERIENCE AT R C ghose, in terms of expenses. BUT THEIR FRAMES ARE MORE DURABLE, IN COMPARISON, I HAVE ONE WITH ME THATS MORE THAN 7 YEARS OLD BUT REFUSING TO DIE A GRACEFUL DEATH...!! BUT THEIR LENSES COST MORE, AGAIN IN COMPARISON, TO LENSKART OF COURSE, BUT TO TITAN EYE PLUS ALSO.

Now, THAT BRINGS ME TO THE LATEST STORY. AFTER CATARACT ON THE REMAINING EYE 6 MONTHS BACK, NOW, WHEN MY POWER SEEMS TO HAVE SETTLED DOWN, AND THE DOC TOLD ME I CAN NOW ORDER A SPARE SPECS, I just ordered one from TITAN EYE PLUS, just because its right opposite my RESIDENCE and also because in ADDITION TO THE new specs, it is SAVING MY OTHER LENSES ALSO WITH A NEW IN HOUSE FRAME, SOMETHING THAT EVEN 2 VISITS AT THE LENSKART, CIT ROAD COULD NOT YIELD...!!! BUT THEIR STYLE OF PITCHING, TRYING TO ENTICE YOU TO BUY MORE EXPESIVE FRAMES WHICH ARE BETTER THAN THE REST, LENSES WHICH ARE UNBREAKABLE, UNSCRATCHABLE, IMPENETRABLE BY BAD EMISSIONS...!!!! ETC ETC ETC...!!! THE WHOLE SHENANIGANS REMAINS ON PAR WITH ALL OTHER SHOPS.

SO, TO MAKE A LONG LONG STORY SHORT,
1) IF YOU WANT CHEAP AND NOT SO DURABLE SPECS, GO TO LENSKART...!!!
2) NOT SO ECONOMICAL BUT LONG SERVING FRAMES, R C GHOSE OR ANY OTHER LOCAL OPTICAL STORE THAT YOU TRUST
3) HOPING THAT IT DOES NOT LET DOWN THE TATA NAME, SPECS WORTHY OF ITS PRICE, GO TO TITAN EYE PLUS
4) WANT TO BE FASHIONABLE AND HOLLOW AND WILLING TO BURN MONEY, GOTO OTHER STORES WITH CHAIN OF STORES NATIONALLY...!!!!
WHEW....!!! TOOK UP A LOT OF MY TIME AND ENERGY WRITING, HOPE IT HELPS OTHER FOLKES AND SAVES THEM TIME, AND MONEY,THAT I SPENT IN MY QUEST TO FIND THE PERFECT "CHOSHME KI DUKAAN". KHOJ ABHI ABHI JARI HAI,,,,IT SEEMS.