* Mehta, Bhanu Pratap (2012): THE QUICKSAND OF CASTE, Indian Express, 28Aug12, URL - http://www.indianexpress.com/news/the-quicksand-of-caste/994050/0
- Reservation was no longer about justice; it was about political claims masquerading as claims about justice.
- The anxiety over slivers of representation has made it difficult to produce a larger politics of accountability.
- Division creates a politics of fear that our political class uses to disguise its own failures.
- (looking for) creative ways of getting us out of this Procrustean bed, where both freedom and justice are now hostage to a politics of identity and suspicion.
* China Today: Calligraphy Then and Now, URL - http://www.chinatoday.com.cn/ctenglish/se/txt/2012-08/14/content_475928.htm
* O'Brien, Derek (2012): THE O'BRIENS OF INDIA AND PAKISTAN, Blogpost - http://quizderek.blogspot.in/2012/08/the-obriens-of-india-and-pakistan_13.html
* Iyer, Ramaswamy R (2012): SETTING HOUNDS ON THE WATCHDOG, The Hindu, 30Aug12, URL - http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/lead/article3836708.ece?homepage=true
* Mehta, Bhanu Pratap (2012): GREAT CLEANSING ACT, Indian Express, 20Aug12, URL - http://www.indianexpress.com/news/great-cleansing-act/990402/0
* Mukhopadhyay, Amitabh (2012): CAG HAS A POINT ON COAL, Mail Today, 30Mar12, URL - www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&sqi=2&ved=0CDgQFjAD&url=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/indiahome/indianews/article-2123004/AMITABH-MUKHOPADHYAY-CAG-point-coal.html&ei=eoBAUJyHGI7krAe4vID4CQ&usg=AFQjCNE0lQnJOx90DR6I39zWAn4zLQh9XA&sig2=CaaMPKDymhId9mxF24nEKQ
RAMASWAMY R. IYER
* Schuman/Kiyuku, Michael (2012); BLIND FAITH, Time, Aug12, URL - http://olympics.time.com/2012/08/23/blind-faith/
- Story of Kenyan paraolympic, Henry Wanyoike
* Arackaparambil, Rosemary, Manoj Kumar (2012): NEW LAND LAW IS BALANCING ACT FOR INDIA, IHT, 29Aug12, URL - http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/08/28/india-land-idINL4E8JS1CW20120828
- 118-year-old legislation
* Kazmin, Amin (2012): INDIA WRESTLES WITH COMPETING LAND NEEDS, Financial Times, 27Aug12
TOP ECONOMIST PONDERS INDIA’S TRUST DEFICIT, url - http://www.omglobe.com/2012/08/22/top-economist-ponders-indias-trust-deficit/
- He refers to an account 100 years ago by a frustrated European engineer in Japan named Kattendyke who wrote about supplies not arriving on time, workers showing up once and never returning, and a pervasive lack of punctuality
Blog: http://www.ulaar.com - Art of Returning to India and Staying Put
Rao, BV (2012): WHY THE FALL OF XEROX ZACHARIA IS UNTHINKABLE IN INDIAN MEDIA, First Post, 25 Aug 2012, URL - http://www.firstpost.com/india/why-the-fall-of-xerox-zakaria-is-unthinkable-in-indian-media-430088.html/2
Chandan, Pav-Bhaji and the Government, The Sleepwalker's Diary (Blog), URL - http://sleepwalkertales.blogspot.in/2012/08/chandan-pav-bhaji-and-government.html
Happy Birthday Colors - http://www.nicopon.com/
Pilling, David (2012): JAPAN, CHINA AND THE LEGACY OF THEIR 'HISTORY PROBLEM'; Financial Times, London, 23AUG12, URL - http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/497f8d14-ec43-11e1-a91c-00144feab49a.html#axzz24SppZecT
- In 1885, an anonymous newspaper editorial - supposedly by Yukichi Fukuzawa of the Y10,000 fame - titled "Leaving Asia"...and its impact
Allison, Graham (2012): THUCYDIDE'S TRAP HAS BEEN SPRUNG IN THE PACIFIC, Financial Times, 22Aug12, URL - http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/5d695b5a-ead3-11e1-984b-00144feab49a.html#axzz24SppZecT
- "It was the rise of Athens and the fear that this inspired in Sparta that made war inevitable" - Thucydides
- A historian's metaphor reminds us of the dangers two parties face when a rising power rivals a ruling power... Athens 5BC; Germany 19 CE, and now China 21 CE
- In a generation, nation whose gross GDP was smaller that Spain's has become the se ond largest economy inthe world.
Twitter - @MajorlyProfound - acidic Pakistani blocked?
Harris, Shane (2012): GIVING IN TO THE SURVEILLANCE STATE, IHT, 24 Aug12
- NSA, Pentagon and Total Information Analysis (TIA)
Moldova, Gyorgy (2012): BALLPOINT, New Europe
- Hungarian inventor, Lazsto Biro (1899-1985) and the story of the ballpoint pen
Coleman, John (2012): FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO LEAD, READ; 15Aug12 HBR, URL - http://blogs.hbr.org/cs/2012/08/for_those_who_want_to_lead_rea.html
Sanyal, Kaushiki (2012): SPEAKING WITHOUT FEAR, Indian Express, 24Aug12, URL - http://www.indianexpress.com/news/speaking-without-fear/992256/0
Indian Government appointed committee gives recommendations to increase medal tally in 2016 Olympics (UnReal Times, 21Aug12) - URL - http://www.theunrealtimes.com/2012/08/21/indian-government-appointed-committee-gives-recommendations-to-increase-medal-tally-in-2016-olympics/
Innovation (Economist Quotes) - http://www.economist.com/blogs/schumpeter/2012/08/z-business-quotations-1?fsrc=gn_ep
Cartoon - The Hindu - Support Prices - http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/cartoon/article3800092.ece
Theodore Darlymple (2012): INDIA'S CONTRIBUTION TO THE OLYMPICS - INDIFFERENCE, WSJ, url - http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443324404577595091687114760.html
Sengupta, Shombit (2012): McJEANS INDIA? Indian Express, 12Aug12
- Denim fabric was crafted in Nimes, France, in the 17th century; originally called Serge de Nimes. The contemporary term jeans comes from Genes, the French word for Genoa (Italy) sailors who wore denim workpants.
An Open Letter to Arnab Goswami - http://www.manushi.in/articles.php?articleId=1616
Why the U.S. Fracking Industry Worries About the Weather in India (Time, Jul 2012) - http://world.time.com/2012/07/17/why-the-u-s-fracking-industry-worries-about-the-weather-in-india/#ixzz23jNkAlf5
Dance of the Starlings
Murmuration (a group of starlings) - http://vimeo. com/31158841
starlings being attacked by a peregrine falcon - http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=b8eZJnbDHIg
explanation - http://beheco. oxfordjournals. org/content/ 21/6/1349. full
* TED -- Shashi Tharoor: Why nations should pursue "soft" power --- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiTrl0W1QrM&feature=youtube_gdata_player
* TED - Margaret Heffernan: Dare to Disagree
URL - http://www.ted.com/talks/margaret_heffernan_dare_to_disagree.html?utm_source=newsletter_weekly_2012-08-10&utm_campaign=newsletter_weekly&utm_medium=email
* Sabastien, PT (2012): OLD DIET, NEW RECIPE, Business Today, 5Aug12, URL - http://businesstoday.intoday.in/story/cash-transfer-programme-lieu-of-subsidised-foodgrain/1/186383.html
* Nike Advt - Find Your Greatness - "...greatness is no more unique to us than breathing...we're all capable it it...all of us. URL - http://www.businessinsider.com/america-is-falling-in-love-with-the-chubby-kid-in-this-awesome-new-nike-ad-2012-8
* Khera, Reetika (2012): PUTTING KERALA TO WORK, The Hindu, 1Aug12, URL - http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/lead/article3708704.ece?homepage=true